FAQs on Account Opening, Operations & Closure
- Provide proof of identity: you need to prove who you are and where you live.
- Fill in an application form:
- Provide legal name & any other name used. (such as maiden name)
- Permanent address (full address should be provided; post office box is not sufficient), important landmarks close to your residence should act as a complement.
- Telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address
- Date of birth
- Occupation, public position held and/employers name
- With students, an introductory letter from the student’s institution, signed by the head of the institution or his representative and a student ID card.
- Type of account and nature of banking relationship
- Any other information the respective bank may require
- Name of institution
- Principal place of institution’s business operations
- Mailing address of institution
- Contact telephone and fax number
- Original or certified copy of the regulations, business registration and commencement of business
- Resolution of the board of directors to open an account and identification of those who have authority to operate the account.
- Nature and purpose of business and its legitimacy.
- Website addresses of the institution if any
- E-mail addresses of the (directors) signatories of the accounts
- Pay the initial deposit (or more) into your account. You will need proof of identity (Residence). Acceptable documents include:
- Driver’s License
- I.D. Card from work (introductory letter from employers)
- Voter Identification Card
- Resident Permit
- Proof of address
- Electricity/Water Bills (Utility Bills)
- Telephone bills
- Tenancy Agreement etc
Different banks have different processes for running your account. Ask your bank to give you a “user guide” or information about how to operate or manage your account.
Cash/cheques/paying in slips