As part of poverty alleviation interventions, Government of Ghana (GOG) took various loans from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) to estatablish various projects with a view to support micro/small enterprises in Ghana. The projects include:
- Smallholder credit, Input Supply & Marketing Project (SCIMP)
- Rural Enterprises Project (REP)
- Upper West Agricultural Development Project (UWADEP)
- Upper East Land conservation & Rehabilitation Project (LACOSREP)
Generally the Projects cover short-term loans of up to 1 year in the following areas:
- Cottage Industries
- Traditional Craft etc
Loan applications are made to the project coordinator through the Participating Financial Institutions (PFI) which include:
- Rural Banks
- Commercial Banks
- Micro Finance Institutions etc.
On behalf of Minister of Finance, BOG disburses funds to PFIs based on advice from Project coordinators of the various projects.